I was supposed to have a session with Rama on Sunday morning as usual but he couldn’t make it in the end. I would have gone to the gym on my own but I was going out for brunch and ended up running late.
I had yoga on Monday and decided to go to the gym as well. TM had done 3km in 21 minutes that morning and I tried to do the same. I couldn’t – I did it in 22:34. I may not have beaten his time but I improved mine by a whole minute!
I tried to beat that time on Tuesday but couldn’t. I did 3km in 22:54. I suppose I won’t see an improvement every single time I’m on the treadmill but at least I’m doing it. After the 3km I did some tricep dips and some lower body work.
I had a session with Rama on Wednesday. He told me it was going to be ‘different but challenging’. I did my warm-up on the cross-trainer and we began.
The first circuit consisted of:
- Squats holding 3-lb weights with my arms stretched straight up x 10
- Sumo squats combined with an upright row with a 10-lb weight x 10 on each side
- Step-out lunges x 10 on each side
- Low squats but only coming up halfway x 10
I did that circuit three times.
After that he made me do some agility work. I had to pretend there was a line down the middle of the gym and do the following:
- Stepping above and below the line while moving sideways x 2 lengths of the gym
- Jumping along the line (like star jumps) x 2 lengths of the gym (the second length was backwards)
- I can’t even explain the third one – but I felt like I was warming up for a game of rugby (or performing in Riverdance)
After each of these exercises I had to do three burpees.
Then there was some core work. I did three sets of the following:
- Slowly kicking each leg while holding 3-lb weights straight out in front of me
- A core exercise twisting a 10-lb weight from my waist over my head and to the other side of my waist x 10
- Russian twists x 20
- Sit-ups with alternating knees x 12
Then I did three sets of tricep dips and tricep extensions followed by this circuit:
- Stair-climbers x 30 seconds
- Burpees x 30 seconds
- Rest x 30 seconds
- Stair-climbers x 30 seconds
- Squat jumps x 30 seconds
It was just one set, but it was enough. In the past I’ve done the stair-climbers with my hands on a bench, but this time I had to rest my hands on the floor – it was much tougher!
And then I was done. It was a different kind of session but I knew my entire body would be in agony the next day – thighs, obliques, arms.
I walked/ran 3k on Thursday – once again I finished in 22:54 – exactly the same as Tuesday. I did lose some time because just after 2km my right shoelace needed re-tying so I had to pause the treadmill and wait for it to re-start, and so on. It was a drag. The other thing that bothered me was that my gym bottoms are so loose now that they kept slipping so I had to keep pulling them up!
I took the day off on Friday – I knew I’d have a heavy Thursday night and knew I wouldn’t even be able to walk in a straight line on Friday. (I was right.)
I did another 3km on Saturday – slightly faster at 22:47. Once again, my laces became undone and my gym bottoms were loose. I think I need to go shopping. Or at least get rid of my old size which I still wear now and then!
Low point of the week? Not getting to 5km on any day this week. I just wasn’t in the mood.
High point of the week? Being told I looked 28 when I was out on Thursday night.
Weight loss? A tiny amount – but I’ll get there!
Read more updates here.