Notes by Nectar

Your destiny lies in your own hands

10 kilos by Easter? Week 2

on January 23, 2012

I had my second session with Rama on Sunday morning. He said that it wouldn’t be as tough as our first session, but I think it was just as hard! And there were three other women in the gym! Until then I’d always had the gym to myself…

I started with a 5-minute warm-up on the cross-trainer. That was easy.

Then there was a circuit of 15 reps on the bench press, 15 squats and 30 seconds stepping on and off the treadmill (not while it was moving). During the first set I thought ‘This actually isn’t so bad’, but by the third set I was struggling. The next circuit consisted of 15 reps on the lateral pulldown, 15 pelvic lifts and 1 minute on the cross-trainer at a minimum speed of 8 mph. The lateral pulldown was easy. The pelvic lifts were horrible – the first set was OK, in the second set I had to hold the last lift for 20 seconds, and in the third set I had to hold each one for 10 seconds.

After that there were two sets of tricep extensions, followed by crunches and other ab exercises holding two 3-kg weights, and finally some stretching. I was knackered.

On Monday I didn’t feel as sore as I thought I would. Rama told me that I should spend 45 minutes on the cross-trainer, alternating between a high speed (8 km/h) and a low(ish) speed (5 km/h) every minute. I started doing that and when I got to 15 minutes I realised there was no way I could do that for another half an hour. So I stopped, went over to the bike and did exactly the same thing – alternating between 6 and 8 mph. I still did 45 minutes of cardio, just not quite what I was hoping to do. I did some stretches after that and I was done for the day.

On Tuesday I still didn’t feel very sore (it’s always worse two days after working out). I had planned to go to the gym but I woke up at 9am, still felt tired and went back to sleep. The next time I looked at my clock it was 11.30am! And I was still feeling lazy so I thought I’d skip it. Rama texted that evening to ask whether 9am was OK for Wednesday? I said it was but hoped it wouldn’t be a regular time!

Wednesday morning came – and my session was a killer. Rama said he makes his clients do a circuit of exercises and times them on a regular basis to see whether/how much they had improved. I did my warm-up on the cross-trainer and we started the circuit. It consisted of:

  • 15 push-ups
  • 20 squats
  • 15 star jumps
  • 30 seconds on the bike, uphill
  • 30 seconds holding a wall squat
  • 15 burpees
  • 20 crunches
  • 30 seconds holding in the plank position
  • 20 leg-switching things (I have no idea what they’re called but you lean on a bench and move your legs forwards and backwards
  • 15 tricep dips
  • 1 bear crawl across the gym floor

There were a couple more but I just can’t remember them right now! They were obviously so traumatic that I’ve blocked them out of my memory.

He said it takes some people 3-4 minutes (seriously??) and others 14-15 minutes to do the whole circuit. I was expecting to be in the slower group, but it took me 8 minutes and 19 seconds. It was exhausting. I needed a rest.

After that we did some floor exercises – hip exercises, pelvic lifts, overs and unders, lunges. Then came 3 minutes on the stepping machine followed by some crunches – regular and using the Swiss ball, some tricep extensions and then I was done. It was a thorough work-out! 

When I woke up on Thursday, I was a little sore all over but it wasn’t too bad. Rama told me to do just cardio on Thursday and told me exactly what to do – 15 minutes on the cross-trainer and then five sets of alternating between the treadmill (with weights) and the stepping machine – 2 minutes on each. So 35 minutes of cardio in total. I had the gym to myself again so I used the speakers on my iPod rather than carrying it around with me (I still haven’t found an arm band for it). I was so tempted to give up after the third round of the treadmill/stepping machine but I just kept going. I hate the stepping machine. I did some stretches after that and I was done for the day. 

I didn’t work out on Friday – I woke up late and then went to my photography class. Looking back, I should have done some exercise as I had a carb-fest at Caramel that night. I allow myself one cheat night a week (if I want it) but that was just going overboard.

On Saturday I did a cardio circuit of the following:

  • 2 minutes on the cross-trainer
  • 2 minutes on the treadmill
  • 2 minutes on the stepping machine
  • 2 minutes on the bike

It doesn’t sound like much but Rama told me to repeat the circuit five times. I was knackered by the end of it. I came very close to stopping after the fourth circuit but somehow managed to continue! 

And that was week 2! I’m in the process of sorting out a yoga teacher with a friend and some of her friends. That should start in week 3 hopefully!


Read more updates here.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: