Notes by Nectar

Your destiny lies in your own hands

10 kilos by Easter? Week 9

on March 12, 2012

I had a 9am session with Rama on Sunday morning. I’d slept badly – I’d been awake on and off since 4.30am that morning. I really wasn’t in the mood for it, but I did it anyway. 

‘No stairs today, I hope?’ I asked, praying he had something else in mind.

‘No, no stairs – but it’s going to be challenging.’

Yes, it always is.

I did my five-minute warm-up on the cross-trainer and the circuit began. It consisted of:

  • Squat jumps x 15
  • 1 minute rest
  • Squat jumps with 3-kg weights x 15
  • 1 minute rest
  • Bear crawl x 4 lengths of the gym
  • Star jumps x 100 
  • 1 minute rest
  • Push-ups with 3-kg weights x 20 – hands on the weights, lower as usual, when you come up lift one hand off the ground, alternating hands
  • Ski jumps with 3-kg weights x 100 – jumping moving your legs back and forth 
  • 3 minutes rest

I did the circuit twice. I’ve done Rama’s circuits before but I think this was the first time I didn’t think I’d finish it. The squat jumps were easy enough, but doing the star jumps after the bear crawl without a rest wore me out. And thank God I only had to do the circuit twice – I would have cried if he’d made me do it a third time. I had to keep stopping for breath while doing the star jumps and ski jumps. I think I might have preferred stair climbing after all.

Once the circuit was over I did three sets of tricep extensions and some lower body/abs floor work. I couldn’t bring myself to get off the mat when it was all over. It was a tough work-out and I could feel my legs getting sore by the end of the day.

I woke up on Monday feeling even worse than the night before. I had a yoga class that morning – and I thought the stretching would do me good. When Rama asked how I was feeling in the afternoon I told him I could barely move. ‘Go for a walk on the treadmill before dinner,’ he suggested. Yes, that’s a good idea, I thought. I didn’t go in the end. After dinner I felt almost as bad as I did after my first session with Gus. Almost. I hadn’t felt that stiff in months and took some Ibuprofen before going to sleep!

I didn’t feel any better on Tuesday and was tempted to just stay home, but I forced myself to go for a 45-minute walk on the treadmill. It really did help with the sore legs!

After my warm-up on the cross-trainer, my Wednesday session with Rama consisted of several circuits. Each circuit was done twice and there was only a rest after the second time I’d done the circuit. The first circuit was:

  • Bench press x 15
  • Squats x 15
  • Crunches x 50
  • 1 minute on the cross-trainer at a high resistance

The second one was:

  • Seated row x 15
  • Walking lunges x 2 lengths of the gym
  • Ab cycle x 20
  • 1 minute jogging the length of the gym
  • Rest

The third one was:

  • Bicep curls x 15
  • Overs and unders x 20
  • Sit-ups with 3-kg weights
  • 1 minute on the cross-trainer (1 minute of jogging the length of the gym in the second set)
  • Rest

I was exhausted after that but it wasn’t over yet.

I had to do 30 burpees – no matter how long it took me. The first time I did them, I did 11 in 55 seconds. The second time, I did 21 in 1 minute and 35 seconds. This time I did 30 in 2 minutes and 25 seconds. So the time isn’t getting any better, but at least I can do 30 (even if I stopped a couple of times). The first time I did them I could only get to 11!

After that there was some lower body floor work and then I was done. And I knew I was going to be in pain later on. Thankfully, it wasn’t as bad as after Sunday’s session.

I had another yoga class on Thursday morning, and it was the first time I’d had a nosebleed during yoga. It was right at the beginning, when we were doing alternate nostril breathing. Luckily it didn’t last long and I did the rest of the class without any problems. I’ve had my nose cauterised three times (that I can remember). The last time was in 2004 and I had a nosebleed a week after the cauterisation. After that, I decided I’d have to live with it because it clearly didn’t work.

I was busy all day on Friday so didn’t work out. I had planned to work out on Saturday but woke up late and just didn’t get round to it.

I seem to have a hit a wall with the weight loss – I put on 0.2 kilos this week, making my total weight loss 11.6 kilos. I know it’s not a huge gain but it’s not the direction I want to see the scales moving in! I’ll just have to work harder next week.


Read more updates here.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: