Notes by Nectar

Your destiny lies in your own hands

The final few: Week 3

on April 30, 2012

On Wednesday Rama told me that on Sunday morning I’d be doing the 100s workout. You know the one:

  • Push-ups x 100
  • Crunches x 100
  • Bunny hops x 150 
  • Squat presses x 50 
  • Shuttles across the gym x 80 

On Sunday morning, Rama texted me: ‘Hey, we’re doing the long circuit workout today – see you in 5’. Like I needed reminding. I replied: ‘I know. I’ve been dreading it since Wednesday!’ The last time I did it, back in March, it took me 24 minutes and 20 seconds.

I did a 5-minute warm-up on the cross-trainer, a few stretches, a few minutes on the bike, and then the timed circuit began. As before I could break it up however I wanted, so I did this:

  • Squat presses x 25
  • Bunny hops x 50
  • Crunches x 50
  • Push-ups x 30
  • Shuttle runs x 20
  • Squat presses x 15
  • Bunny hops x 50
  • Crunches x 30
  • Push-ups x 25
  • Shuttle runs x 20
  • Squat presses x 10
  • Bunny hops x 50
  • Crunches x 25
  • Push-ups x 20
  • Shuttle runs x 20
  • Push-ups x 20
  • Shuttle runs x 20




It took me 21 minutes and 58 seconds, an improvement of 2 minutes and 22 seconds! It was tough but felt good once it was over. 

Then there were some hamstring curls using the Swiss ball, pelvic raises using the Swiss ball, overs-and-unders, tricep extensions, tricep dips, and abs exercises. I was exhausted by the end of it, but was a good start to the week!

I woke up on Monday – my hamstrings ached, my abs ached, my upper body ached. Everything ached. My cousin and I had yoga that morning – and it seemed tougher than usual, from the very beginning of the class. 

I ached even more on Tuesday. I went to the gym and walked 5k – and I still felt sore at the end of the day.

I felt a bit sore on Wednesday but it wasn’t as bad as the day before. When I got to the gym for my session with Rama, there were two women in there… and a Pug (Milo, I learnt later). I didn’t even notice him at first because he was more or less the same colour as the wooden floor, and he was on a leash tied to one of the doors. His owner asked if we minded having him there but neither of us did.

While I was warming up Rama told me I was going to do the timed short circuit I’ve done before. I’d done it twice – back in January (8 minutes and 19 seconds) and at the beginning of April (6 minutes and 23 seconds). It comprised:

  • Push-ups x 15
  • Squats x 20
  • Star jumps x 20
  • Jogging on the spot x 30 seconds
  • Wall squat x 30 seconds
  • Burpees x 15
  • Stair climbers x 20
  • Crunches x 20
  • Plank x 30 seconds
  • Bear crawl x 2 lengths of the gym
  • Tricep dips x 15
  • Punches holding 3-kg weights x 20

I hate this circuit. It was shorter than the one I did on Sunday but it was a tough one. And I had to do it twice. The first time I finished it in 6 minutes and 5 seconds. Once again, Rama thought I could improve on that speed in the second round. And once again, I had my doubts.

‘Try and finish in under 6 minutes,’ he said.

And I did.

I finished the second round in 5 minutes and 44 seconds. He said that in a few weeks my speed will be at the 5-minute mark and that I was getting fitter. 

After that there were a lot of abs and upper body exercises, and then back to the floor for the lower body exercises. And finally there was stretching. The session seemed longer than usual (but it wasn’t). 

When I was lying on the floor, Milo’s owner took him off the leash and he came running over to me and started licking me. I think he felt sorry for me and was trying to make me feel better! 

On Thursday I walked 5k on the treadmill in 48 minutes and 33 seconds. That evening I bumped into Milo and Owner (no idea what her name is). ‘Your trainer works you hard!’ said Owner. Tell me about it. We chatted for a bit about the gym and training and went our separate ways. 

I bumped into Milo and Owner again on Friday – twice! Once at the pool and once at night on my way home from dinner with my mum and grandmother. I was all set for the spinning class at the Shangri-La that day but they called to tell me that the class had been cancelled that day. I could have gone to the gym instead but decided to stay on at the pool. 

I didn’t work out on Saturday either. 

Low point of the week? Going for a massage on Sunday and the masseuse assuming I was pregnant. (I do not look pregnant, bitch.) I told Rama about it on Wednesday – he burst out laughing, and then made me do double the amount of abs exercises than normal.

High points of the week? Mum coming back from India on Wednesday after 2.5 months and telling me I looked ‘amazing’ (though I’m bracing myself for a comment like ‘But you could lose some more on your hips/bum/thighs/arms/tummy’ because I know it’s lurking there somewhere); Dad’s jaw dropping when I walked out of my room ready for a lunch – he had to take a photo of me and send it to my brother and sister; trying on a ring Mum was wearing and it being loose for me (she has slender fingers). 

Weight loss? None. In fact I put on 0.5 kg but it hasn’t bothered me so much this week. I’ve eaten out a couple of times and had several vodkas on Thursday night, but I know not every week is like this! I’ll be back on track next week. Or the week after. I have a feeling these final few kilos are going to take a long time to come off.


Read more updates here

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: