Notes by Nectar

Your destiny lies in your own hands

The final few: Week 5

on May 14, 2012

I kept waking up on Sunday morning and checking the time. I don’t know why – but it was annoying. I’d been awake on and off since about 4.30am.

I had my usual session with Rama on Sunday morning. I did my 5-minute warm-up on the cross-trainer and then we began a Tabata circuit (30 seconds on, 20 seconds rest). He said I was going to do this for about 20 minutes. The circuit (in no particular order) consisted of:

  • Push-ups x 2 sets
  • Walking lunges x 2 sets
  • Bench press x 2 sets
  • Shuttle runs x 2 sets
  • Hamstring curls with a Swiss ball x 2 sets
  • Squat jumps x 2 sets
  • Tricep dips x 2 sets
  • Stepping on/off a bench x 2 sets
  • Tricep extensions x 2 sets
  • Bicep curls x 2 sets
  • Calf raises x 2 sets
  • Squats with a weighted bar x 2 sets
  • Swiss ball crunches x 4 sets

After that there were more abs exercises and lower body exercises.

‘You look like you’ve dropped another kilo,’ Rama said. 

‘It must be muscle then, because I really haven’t,’ I told him. 

And then there were the dreaded stairs. Rama sent me down in the lift and I had to walk up to the sixth floor.

‘OK, you’re going to do that again,’ Rama said.

‘I can’t,’ I told him.

‘Yes, you can.’

He sent me back down again. As the lift doors closed, I waved and said ‘I’m going home.’

But I didn’t – I walked up to the sixth floor again. 




I had sore arms, sore abs and sore hamstrings on Monday morning. I also had my usual yoga class on Monday but didn’t enjoy it at all. We started in the living room at 10.15 as usual, the doorbell rang at 10.30. Nobody answered it so I opened the door, gave the keys to the driver and sat back down again. A few minutes later my mum and grandmother came back from the gym. A few minutes after that my dad was up, the TV was on, the kettle was on, cupboards in the kitchen were opening and closing. It was like being in Grand Central Station and I was bloody irritated. 

I went to the gym on Tuesday morning – to coincide with the sleazy hairdresser’s visit to our flat to do my mum’s hair! I did 5k on the treadmill and some Swiss ball crunches. 

On Wednesday I had another session with Rama. While I was warming up on the cross-trainer he showed my grandmother how to use one of the weights machines which she couldn’t figure out. When I was done warming up, he said I was getting fitter and that I was going to do the 100s workout. Again?? Surely I’d just done it in the last 2 weeks or so? He checked his diary and said the last time I did the 100s was on 22nd April, 2.5 weeks earlier. 

I broke it down like this:

  • Squat presses x 25
  • Bunny hops x 50
  • Crunches x 40
  • Push-ups x 30
  • Shuttle runs x 20
  • Squat presses x 15
  • Bunny hops x 50
  • Crunches x 20
  • Push-ups x 30
  • Shuttle runs x 20
  • Squat presses x 10
  • Bunny hops x 50
  • Crunches x 20
  • Push-ups x 20
  • Shuttle runs x 20
  • Crunches x 20
  • Push-ups x 20
  • Shuttle runs x 20

No breaks. And it was exhausting. But, having said that, last time I finished that circuit in 21 minutes and 58 seconds. This time I did it in 18 minutes and 23 seconds! An improvement of 3 minutes and 35 seconds in under 3 weeks. I was amazed. 

I had a break. I then had to hold a wall squat for as long as I could. The longest I’ve managed it so far is 1 minute 1 second. I barely managed 1 minute this time. I wonder whether I’d have been able to hold it for longer had I done it before the earlier circuit. 

Then there were sets of bicep curls, the upper body exercise using a stationary treadmill, and abs.

And then… there were stairs. Stairs and the 100s workout on the same day?? Madness.

I went down in the lift and walked up to the sixth floor. 

‘You’re going to do that again,’ Rama told me. ‘But there’s a catch.’

A catch? Could it be any worse?

‘What’s the catch?’

‘You’re going to do that again, but I have to go… Or you can finish now.’

I seriously thought about just going home and having a cup of tea, but heard myself saying ‘I’ll leave my stuff here and take the lift down with you.’ Clearly this madness was contagious.

I climbed up to the sixth floor again. It took me a bit longer and each time I got to the next floor I thought about taking the lift, collecting my things, and going home to that cup of tea. But I made it to the sixth floor and texted him: ‘Done!’

I thought perhaps I should walk up the stairs each time I go to the gym on my own as well as doing 5k on the treadmill. That might make it a bit easier.

I went to the gym on Thursday. As I started on the treadmill, I realised I’d forgotten to walk up the stairs. Oh well, the 5k made up for it, I think. It was a good 5k – I’d updated my iPod over the weekend, adding some songs which I’d forgotten about. I even felt like dancing when ‘Flawless’ by George Michael came on and that was at 4.5k… 

Low point of the week? Going shopping for the first time this year and realising that everything is still tight and looks like crap on me. How is that even possible after losing more than 14 kg?

High point of the week? Meeting an aunt I hadn’t seen since January and her telling me I’d lost all my weight. She then said I must be in love. Yeah, whatever.

Weight loss? I’ve now lost 14.7 (32.3 lbs) kg in total. It is taking forever to come off. 


Read more updates here.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: