Notes by Nectar

Your destiny lies in your own hands

I’m back into my routine this week – which is great!

I had a tough session with Rama on Sunday. He told me it would be ‘challenging’. After a 5-minute warm-up on the cross-trainer, he told me he wanted to check my fitness levels by doing the 1-minute tests. Crap. He checked his notes from July to see what my results were and we got started.

  • Push-ups – 36 (40 last time)
  • Squats – 28 (same as last time)
  • Sit-ups – 21 (22.5 last time)

We didn’t do burpees or shuttle runs – he said we could do those next week (dammit!).

Instead we did the HIIT exercises – 20 seconds on, 10 seconds rest. The first exercise was burpees. Five rounds of 20 seconds of burpees followed by 10 seconds of rest. It was horrible.

After that I did the push-up/squat jump combination I’ve done before – 10 push-ups, 10 squat jumps, 10 seconds rest; 9 push-ups, 9 squat jumps, 10 seconds rest… until you get to 5, and you do 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 without any rest in between.

After another rest, I did two sets of the stair-climber/burpee/squat jump combination:

  • Stair-climbers x 30 seconds
  • Burpees x 30 seconds
  • Rest x 30 seconds
  • Stair-climbers x 30 seconds
  • Squat jumps x 30 seconds
  • Rest

And it wasn’t over yet. There were still bicep/tricep exercises to do with the weighted bar and abs exercises, including the plank and side planks. I was done and I was going to be in pain the next day.

I woke up on Monday with sore arms, abs, thighs, hamstrings (but my legs didn’t hurt anywhere near as much as they did after the Komodo trek). I had yoga that morning – also after a 2-month break. ‘You look like you’ve lost weight,’ said my yoga teacher. I decided to just accept the compliment! The class wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be but my hips and back are much stiffer than they were before. I suppose it didn’t help that while I was in Bali I would work stretched out on my bed rather than at a desk. I thought a massage on Monday afternoon might help with my sore muscles (not really).

I woke up late on Tuesday and contemplated skipping the gym. I eventually made it there (but not until 1pm) as I knew it would help with the muscle soreness. I did 3k on the treadmill (walking) and went back home.

I had my second session of the week with Rama on Wednesday. He asked how my body felt after Sunday’s work-out? I told him I was sore all over. He said that was to be expected as it was a tough session. After my 5-minute warm-up on the cross-trainer I did some stretches and we got started.

I did 500m on the treadmill, alternating walking and running every 30 seconds. I then did two sets of bench presses followed by three sets of squats with a body bar on my shoulders. Then there were two sets of squat rows and dead lifts with the body bar. Two sets of seated rows followed, and two sets of military presses followed that. There were also two sets of tricep extensions. It was all about the upper body today (mostly). I then did two sets of calf raises off the stationary treadmill. I could feel the burn all the way up my legs and knew I’d be in trouble the next day.

I did another 500m on the treadmill, again alternating walking and running every 30 seconds, and then collapsed on my mat for some abs exercises and stretches. It was painful.

Surprisingly, I felt fine the next day. I wasn’t in any pain at all! I decided to go to the gym and ended up doing 3k on the treadmill. I started off alternating between walking and running every 30 seconds but then decided to run for 100m and walk for 100m. It wasn’t too bad. After that I did three sets of tricep extensions and I was done.

I didn’t work out on Friday or Saturday – I was out for brunch on Friday and didn’t wake up in time to go to the gym beforehand and I was too hungover on Saturday!

High points of the week? Being back in a routine and back to not eating bread. I also have a new goal – a friend (let’s call him TM – short for Trouble Maker) has challenged me to do the Dubai Vertical Marathon with him in April. Clearly I’m a bit crazy because I accepted the challenge and am now wondering how on earth I’m going to do it!

Low point of the week? Drinking far too much wine on Friday – day and night. Oh well, c’est la vie.

Weight loss? I’m actually a little bit lighter than my pre-holiday weight, making my total weight loss 17.9 kg (39.38 lbs). Let’s hope this continues!


Read more updates here.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: