As Randy was still away I went back to the gym on Sunday morning. I walked for 20 minutes (2.1 km) and did two sets of lower body exercises. I then did an abs circuit from an app I downloaded to my phone! It’s called ‘Daily Ab Workout’ and I have the free version. You can select workouts of either 5, 8 or 10 minutes – I thought I’d start with 5 minutes. There are three workout routines but because I have the free download I can only select the first routine. It consisted of 30 seconds each of the following exercises:
- Basic crunch
- Right oblique crunch
- Left oblique crunch
- Bicycle crunch
- Reverse crunch
- Long arm crunch
- Crossover crunch
- Half curl
- Vertical leg crunch
By the end of it my abs were really feeling the burn!
I had yoga on Monday. My cousin couldn’t make it so it was just me. My teacher chose that day to be very hands on – insisting I stretch further each time I was in a new asana.
After the excesses of the previous week(s) I thought it might be a good idea to do a juice cleanse, just to clear out my system. I found a company online called Essentially that delivered all the juices you need for your cleanse, and all the bottles are labelled so you don’t have to think about what order to have them in. I went for the Revitalization cleanse – the beginner’s option – and I chose the 1-day cleanse. The six juices were delivered on Monday afternoon and I did the cleanse on Tuesday. The juices (in order) were:
- Green juice (cucumber, celery, apple, spinach, parsley, lemon, ginger) – I loved this – I found it so refreshing and I love anything with ginger!
- P.A.M. (pineapple, apple, mint) – I’d been dreading this one (as I’m not very fond of pineapple) but was pleasantly surprised
- Green juice
- Spicy lemonade (water, lemon, agave, cayenne) – This didn’t make much of an impression with me – I thought it was a bit insipid
- Red roots (beetroot, carrot, apple, orange, celery, ginger) – Again, I really liked this one (must be the ginger!)
- Cashew milk (water, cashew, agave, coconut butter, vanilla, sea salt) – I enjoyed this more than I thought I would as it was quite filling after a day of just drinking juice
I thought it would be a lot harder than it was. I did spend much of the afternoon thinking about burgers and fries, but I think that might be normal if you know you just can’t have it! I’d consider doing the cleanse once a month. I didn’t lose any weight (that wasn’t my aim anyway) but I did feel less bloated afterwards. The only thing I really did fancy was a cup of tea in the afternoon and something warm at night. I could have had some herbal tea but I didn’t have any at home – I’ll be better prepared next time.
I didn’t make it back to the gym this week. I had planned to go on Saturday but was so tired after a weird Friday night I just didn’t have the energy! Oh well, something to aim for next week!
Low point of the week? Going to the gym just once.
High point of the week? Making it through 1 day of a juice cleanse.
Weight loss? Back to 68/69 kg again…
Read more updates here.