I woke up on Sunday with a sore left knee after my 5 km run on Saturday. Not a good sign!
I told Randy before we started our session that it was a little sore but I could probably still do leg exercises. We decided to start and if it got worse he’d switch the exercises.
I started with a 5-minute warm-up on the cross-trainer and then did the following circuit three times (with a rest between sets):
- Chest press (3-kg weights) x 20
- Walking lunges/twist x 10 on each side
- Tricep extensions/skullcrushers (3-kg weights) x 15
- Abdominal leg raises x 15
I did another 3 minutes on the cross-trainer and did the next circuit three times (with a rest between circuits):
- T plank x 12 on each side
- Sit-ups (with a 3-kg weight) x 15
- The ladder (check out the Ali Shuffle at 1:20) x 6 lengths
I then did some stretching and was done for the day.
I had yoga on Monday. My knee was still a bit sore on Tuesday so I thought it would be best if I gave it a rest.
I had a tough session with Randy on Wednesday. My knee still hurt a little but I got through the session. I started with a 5-minute warm-up on the cross-trainer and then did the following circuit:
- Renegade push-ups (with 3-kg weights) x 12
- Star jumps (with 3-lb weights) x 20
- Shoulder press (with 15-lb weights) x 15
- Half get-ups (with 3-kg weight) x 12 on each side
I did that three times. My shoulders were done after that, as you can imagine!
I did 3 minutes on the cross-trainer and had some water. I then did the second circuit:
- Squat combined with bicep curl (3-kg weights) x 15
- Skipping rope x 30 seconds
- Lunges (with 3-kg weights) x 10 on each side
- Abdominal leg raises x 15
I then did some stretches and was done.
I woke up with an aching left knee very early on Thursday. I took some Nurofen and went back to sleep. I woke up and went to the gym – I thought I’d run or walk, depending on how my knee felt. I started with a walk and moved into a run and lasted all of 1 minute. Running just wasn’t going to happen, so I walked for 30 minutes (3.2 km). Halfway through one of my laces came undone and I had to stop and sort that out. As I got to the 30-minute mark I contemplated walking for a whole 5 km but the same lace came undone as I hit 30 minutes. A sign! So I stopped.
That night my knee felt worse than it had all week and I thought I’d give it a rest. I didn’t work out the rest of the week and it slowly improved, but still not to 100%.
Low point of the week? My knee – I’m really unhappy about it! I also had a friend in town from Lagos this week and all we did was eat. Every day.
High point of the week? Being told I look like a Barbie doll by my friend from Lagos (we last met in January)!
Weight loss? None. Friend in town = food = weight gain.
Read more updates here.