Notes by Nectar

Your destiny lies in your own hands

I had my eleventh session with Trevor on Sunday morning. I was so tired from the weekend and really hoped he would go easy on me. When I got to the gym he was already there and said we’d be doing a toning session. I was a bit relieved and thought it would be easier than a cardio-focused session.

I started with the usual 5-minute warm-up on the cross-trainer. He then told me to get on the treadmill for 5 minutes. I walked at a speed of 5.0 km/h for 3 minutes and for the last 2 minutes carried on walking at the same speed but with an incline of 10%.

After that I did a tricep circuit:

  • Tricep dips x 15
  • Kickbacks (3-kg weights) x 15
  • Tricep extensions x 15

I then did a legs circuit using a 3-kg medicine ball:

I did that circuit twice. In the second exercise I had to hold the sumo squat position but push the medicine ball out in front of me 15 times. In the fourth exercise I had to do a sumo squat and roll the medicine ball to Trevor, and as it rolled to him and he rolled it back I had to do an alternating elbow to knee raise on both sides.

I had a rest after that and then did three sets of seated rows. I did 15 in the first set, and 10 double pulse rows in the second and third sets – that’s where I release it halfway before pulling it back towards me and releasing completely.

I then did an abs circuit:

I did that three times with no breaks in between. I had to take 3 seconds on the way up and 3 seconds on the way down. I then did another abs exercise using the medicine ball. I had to sit in a V-sit position and Trevor rolled the ball to me. I had to push it behind me with my right hand into my left hand and then back to him. We did that 10 times going from right to left, and another 10 times going from left to right. In the first set I could feel it in the tops of my legs. During the second set Trevor told me to lean back a bit more – and I could really feel it in my abs. It also took some coordination!

During my session Trevor asked me if I wanted to do a detox for 7 to 10 days. Does that mean no alcohol, I asked. Of course I knew it would mean no alcohol but I thought I’d ask anyway. ‘Well, seeing as alcohol is a toxin, yes, that would mean no alcohol.’ I thought about my plans for the next few weeks and decided I’d do the detox in April, after my birthday. I’d probably need it by then anyway.

By the time I got into bed on Sunday night I could feel my triceps aching a little. When I woke up on Monday I had sore abs, sore triceps and sore thighs. I also had a sore throat and a fever. I was so annoyed because I’d been so determined to go to the gym on Monday before work and it didn’t happen. I stayed in bed on Tuesday too.

I didn’t make it back to the gym all week. I felt feverish and I had a constant headache for two days. By Friday I was completely hoarse too. Not a great week.

Low point of the week? Getting sick and not being able to work out.

High point of the week? I can’t think of anything!

Weight loss? I’m still at 73-74 kg.


Read more updates here.

4 thoughts on “The final few

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: