Notes by Nectar

Your destiny lies in your own hands

I got to the gym on Sunday and started warming up. I did 5 minutes on the cross-trainer and then checked my phone to see if Trevor was running late. No message. I got back on the cross-trainer and did another 5 minutes. I checked my phone again. Nothing. I sent him a text: Are you on your way to me? While I waited for him to respond I decided to walk on the treadmill. Ten minutes later he replied saying he’d sent me a text on Friday to say he couldn’t make it on Sunday. Did he?? I thought I may have seen it and forgotten about it (I was at a brunch) so went through my phone again. No message. I’ve had issues with text messages in the past so knew he must have sent it but it wasn’t delivered. As I was already at the gym I spent 30 minutes on the treadmill and then went to work.

On Tuesday morning I did the new circuit that Trevor had shown me (treadmill, squats, dead lifts, step ups, etc).

When I woke up on Wednesday my back was really sore. I thought it might have been the dead lifts but I’ve done more than that on many occasions before and had never felt like this. I thought I might have slept funny and hoped it would disappear on its own.

I had Thursday session with Trevor but was still in a lot of pain. I did my warm-up on the cross-trainer but even that was uncomfortable. Trevor made me lie down and do some stretches. My lower back felt frozen, and my left side was much tighter than the right side. He thought it would be best if we avoided squats and other exercises that involved a wide range of movement. I sat on a bench with some light weights and began an arm circuit. I went through six or seven different exercises for various arm muscles and then walked on the treadmill at an incline of 4% for 5 minutes. I did the same circuit again and then moved onto a few of the leg machines. I finished with the same stretches I’d done at the beginning of the session – they felt a little bit easier so I thought I was on the mend. Trevor told me to take it easy until my next session – at the very most to do some walking on the treadmill.

On Friday morning I got out of bed and tried to stand up straight. I couldn’t. I felt like an old hunchback woman and it took me about 10 minutes to be able to stand up properly, while walking around slowly. It almost felt like my legs were disconnected from my spine and I was walking like C3PO (from Star Wars). I spent most of the day in bed – I was only comfortable horizontally and on my right side) but in the evening I decided to meet some friends for dinner. One of them suggested I see her chiropractor and the following day she gave me her number.

On Saturday morning, I called for an appointment but the receptionist told me the first available appointment would be the following Saturday. A week?? I took the appointment but told her to please let me know if she had any cancellations and that I was desperate. That evening she called to say there was an appointment the next day for 9am. Thank God! I’d spent the whole day in bed and was getting fed up.

Low point of the week? Being in so much pain. Just turning over in my sleep made my body feel like it was being ripped in half.

High point of the week? I guess I did three workouts!

Weight loss? My weight is still 75/76 kg…


Read more updates here.

One thought on “The final few

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: