Notes by Nectar

Your destiny lies in your own hands

The final few

on May 19, 2014

I’d finished the batch of 20 sessions with Trevor the week before and wasn’t sure whether to buy a batch of 10 sessions or go for the cheaper option of 30 sessions. I was hesitating about the 30 sessions because I’d only be able to have about 12 before I left for the summer. I considered buying 10 now and then 30 when I got back but then I figured summer would be expensive so it would be better to just buy 30 now and not worry about it when I got back! I’d still have almost 20 sessions to use when I returned.

I had a tough session on Sunday morning. Trevor asked me how my back was and whether he thought we could intensify the workout. I told him I was fine and I was up for it. I did my 5 minutes on the cross-trainer and then moved onto some cardio on the treadmill. I did 10 minutes alternating each minute between 5 km/h (no incline) and 7 km/h (5% incline). He does like his inclines (I don’t).

Trevor told me I’d be working out my legs – and he wasn’t kidding. I put the weighted bar on my shoulder and began:

  • Squats x 15
  • Walking lunges x 2 lengths of the gym
  • Good mornings x 15 (I don’t know why these are called ‘good mornings’!)
  • Walking lunges x 2 lengths of the gym
  • Good mornings x 15
  • Reverse lunge with knee drive (no bar) x 10 on each side
  • Reverse lunge with knee drive (with the bar) x 10 on each side

I got back on the treadmill for 3 minutes to loosen up my legs. I then did:

  • Curtsey lunges (no bar) x 10 on each side
  • Curtsey lunges (with the bar) x 10 on each side
  • Deep squats x 15
  • Deadlifts x 15
  • Combined deadlift/row x 15
  • Combined deadlift/row/lateral raise x 15

I finished with 3 minutes on the bike followed by a balancing exercise using a 3-kg dumbbell (10 on each side) and some stretching.

On Monday I woke up and my hamstrings were on fire. And not in a good way. I put off going to the gym until about 5pm and then decided I’d better just go – I really had no excuse not to. I got there and there were three kids in there – I’d say they were between 13 and 15 years old – which I didn’t mind. But they were SO LOUD. Trevor had told me to go back to the 20/20/20 workout which I did when I first started training with him. I did 20 minutes on the treadmill – and I had my headphones on. But when it got to the abs/mountain climbers/etc circuit, I took my headphones off so I could hear the timer on my phone. The kids were so noisy that at one point I actually shouted at them, telling them that this wasn’t their living room. And then I thought, ‘Jesus, I sound like my mother.’ But it worked and they were (mostly) quiet after that.

On Tuesday I was in pain. My hamstrings ached and my abs had joined them. But I went to the gym. I didn’t think my abs could take another circuit like Mondays so I decided to do just cardio. I spent 30 minutes on the treadmill, alternating between walking and running. I got to 3.10 km. I started doing some lateral pulldowns but the cable was in such bad condition I thought it might snap.

I decided to take the day off on Wednesday. My abs only ached when I moved or breathed!

On Thursday I had a full-on cardio session with Trevor. I did my 5-minute warm-up on the cross-trainer and then moved on to the treadmill. The circuit went like this:

  • Treadmill x 4 minutes (1 min at 5 km/h, 3 min at 7 or 7.5 km/h)
  • Bike x 3 minutes (resistance 8)
  • Cross-trainer x 3 minutes (resistance 10)
  • Boxing x 5 rounds (30 seconds boxing, 20 seconds ‘active rest’)
  • Rest

It was tough and I was sweating like anything after the first round (I did three rounds in total). In the 20 second active rest periods between boxing I did walking lunges, squats, jogging on the spot and a couple of other things – the word ‘rest’ is deceiving! After the three rounds I did some stretches and was done.

I thought I’d get another workout in over the weekend but that didn’t happen…

Low point of the week? I can’t think of anything!

High point of the week? Working out a lot, not eating too badly, and I’ve managed to still stay off bread.

Weight loss? None.


Read more updates here.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: